I'll keep this short and sweet this year. I thought 2014 was an incredibly weak year for music as a whole, however I thought the albums that were strong in 2014 were really strong. This wasn't a great year for hip-hop. Nothing came out that really blew me away. PRhyme isn't mentioned because I simply didn't listen to it enough. D'Angelo's "Black Messiah" is too new for me to have an accurate opinion of it (as of this writing I've listened to it twice and it's been out for three days). I'll ammend the list later once I have a better sense of it.
Bottomline: I listened to a lot of music this year and flat out didn't like most of it. These are the few albums I liked and some I loved.
- "The Voyager" by Jenny Lewis
- "1989" by Taylor Swift
- "Morning Phase" by Beck
- "Brill Bruisers" by The New Pornographers
- "BEYONCÉ (Platinum Edition)" by Beyoncé*
- "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" by Against Me!
- "Built on Glass" by Chet Faker
- "They Want My Soul" by Spoon
- "Lost in the Dream" by The War on Drugs
- "Ultraviolence" by Lana Del Rey
- "Ryan Adams" by Ryan Adams
- "Run the Jewels 2" by Run the Jewels
- "Neon Icon" by Riff Raff
- "Once More 'Round The Sun" by Mastodon
- "Syro" by Aphex Twin
*Yes I know this album came out late 2013 originally, but I didn't give it a listen until the new "Platinum Edition" came out in November of 2014. So I am cheating and putting it on this list since it was a 2014 album to me.